The Second Engineer works together with the Engineer to ensure that the vessel is operated safely and according to company policy and procedures at all times. This includes ensuring that all equipment is in excellent working order and follows all the service manual recommendations. He/she will work with the engineer to carry out repairs and maintenance of all systems on the boat, such as engine, generators, water-makers, compressors & nitrox system, showers, kitchen equipment, bathroom utilities, lighting, and air-con, etc.
The Second Engineer is responsible for the following, under the guidance of the Chief engineer:
1. Conduct all required checks such as pre-cruise checks, maintenance checks, emergency pump checks, etc.
2. Complete all relevant documentation, such as repair logs, engine logs, etc.
3. Manage parts and levels of stock, such as oil, consumables, spare/replacement parts, and complete relevant documentation.
4. Manage and maintain water-making systems as per manufacturer’s guidelines.
5. Ensure all tools and equipment are in sound condition and stored correctly.
6. Keep the engine room clean and orderly at all times.
For recruitment and HR purposes, the ideal candidate will have the following qualities.
● Possess an engineering certificate and all legally required documents and qualifications
● Good team leader
● Knowledge of the areas where the vessel operates
● A solid record of successful professional experience in maintaining and safely operating similar vessels
*A full list of the role and responsibilities will be discussed if you are shortlisted for the position listed above.